of the New Carlisle Public Library
The New Carlisle Public Library was organized more than 90 years ago
by The Progress Club, a group of women dedicated to improving themselves
and the town. The women gave of their time and services to maintain
a reading room over the Corner Drug Store. For several years the ladies
subscribed to the "Traveling Library" supplied by the State
Library. Various fund raising events were held to pay for rent, lights,
new books, and maintenance. The Reading Room moved to various locations
throughout downtown New Carlisle. At times, the person renting the room
would also act as a paid attendant. The women of the Progress Club would
often volunteer their time to perform the duties of librarian.
In November 1936, the property at the corner of Main and Madison streets
was purchased and remodeled with funds from the bequests of Frank Johnston
and Annette Shroyer. The Library was then incorporated as the New Carlisle
Public Library Association.
A Board of Trustees was formed to conduct the business of the Library.
An application was made and accepted to receive funding from the Intangible
In 1938 Sylvia Schmidt was appointed as the first paid full-time librarian.
Mrs. Schmidt served for 21 years.
In 1938 fund raisers were started by various churches to help with
remodeling of the Library and to provide a meeting place in the new
basement for the Boy Scouts. The City Council donated $500 for the project.
A small house located at the back of the property was removed, a new
basement was added and remodeling was completed. In 1970 the building
was remodeled again by removing the second floor and creating a new
The Library is currently funded through House Bill 146, which allows
libraries a percentage of state income tax monies. The money is distributed
monthly to Clark County and divided between the New Carlisle Public
Library and the Clark County Public Library.
In 1997 the Library received a Library Services and Construction Act
Title II grant to build a new facility.
The Library is currently located at 111 E. Lake Ave.
back to top